Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Steady as she goes....

So this past week I got my annual review and one of the words that was used to describe me was "steady". It's taken me several days to process why that word bothered me so much. There are so many other descriptions that I would have liked to hear. Descriptions like star-player, excelled, crucial to the success of the team, etc; not STEADY.

Steady seems boring and ho-hum. Not exciting at all. Nothing out of the ordinary. No WOW factor!

So as I am processing this, God reminded me that in my roller coaster past, that steady would have NEVER been a word that could have been used to describe me. I was never settled enough in myself to stay in one place for more than a couple of years. I was never ok with being so-so in my job, I had to over-achieve. My emotions swung either far to the right or the left (remember that black/white thing?). I was always a wild as a "march hare" as my mom would say. And by the way, what the heck is a "march hare" anyway????

Then God also reminded me of one of the most steady people I know. My husband. He is reliable, stable, rock-solid. That was one of the things that drew me to him the most. He was so unlike me! And if you know him at all...certainly not boring!

And then something came into my memory that I had prayed almost a year ago. I wanted to be consistent in areas I could never gain traction in. Like consistent exercising and eating right. Consistency in my schedule. Consistency in relational aspects, like disciplining the kids.

And as I look back over the past year, those things are taking place, some more than others, but it is happening. And, I guess that has been seen in my work life. I'm putting one foot in front of the other to do the work and leaving the results to God.

But to be honest, as I look back it has seemed a bit boring. Not much drama going on. But life has been good this year. So as my friend Kande would say, "Being steady ain't sexy...but it's got teeth." I guess I can live with that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say. I found your blog through facebook I belive. Thank you for your blog. It's encouraging to me to know your thoughts you share are right where I am right now. THank you!